January 16, 2014

Dressing Up My Bear

A few days ago a sweet elderly neighbor saw my youngest daughter (we'll call her C) outside jogging.  He stopped her to give her a couple of things from his garage.  One of those things was a handmade doll from probably the early eighties with hair made out of yarn and a big bonnet.  It wasn't the prettiest of dolls but C surprisingly liked it. I think what she really liked was the gesture more than the doll.  It made her feel special and who can argue with that.
The other thing he gave her was this bear.  It was dusty and dirty from being stored so many years.  C said I could have it since I liked bears.  I thought it was interesting she said I liked bears.  I only have one bear and its a vintage bear made out of an old quilt.  I bought it at an antique shop for a song and have it sitting on a shelf in my sewing closet. I told her I'd love to have it and then quickly threw it in the washer and set it out to dry.  It had a blue ribbon around it's neck that I took off and threw away.  After I did that I thought it looked too bare and naked.  It needed something.  Something to make it looked dressed. So what's a girl to do?  
I made it a headband out of some yarn that I had on hand and attached
 a pretty red flower that I had already made on a different occasion. The collar adds
 a nice touch and was a quick little project.  It's called the Peter Pan collar and the
 pattern is from Ravelry.
Yesterday I was digging around in my stash of finished baby things and pulled out this teeny tiny hat I made a couple of years ago.  I thought it would be just the right size for my bear.
There, now she looks better...all warm and cozy.  
Really...
I ought to be doing other things,
but sometimes it's fun just to play around a bit. 
:)

5 comments:

  1. Well, that's just wonderful. I think your bear looks very cozy and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a beautiful gesture of your neighbor to give the bear and the doll to your girl, and so sweet of her to give the bear to you.
    The collar and the headband are adorable, and the bear looks so darling.
    I adore bears, my kids have one, but I play with it more than they do. I love using it as a prompt for my baby blanket photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Foxxy, wow how nice of your neighbor to give the doll and bear to your daughter. I love the way you made the headband, collar and hat for the bear! So cute.
    Take care, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable !!!
    Have a nice weekend !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dressed up bear is just the cutest. You did a great job on crochet.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated. I take time to read each and every one and will do my best to return the visit.